Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Day 9

After a fabulously exhausting beach day, I forced myself to return to work the following day. I was to start at 8 AM. In the school year, such a time may have been reasonable, but on summer schedule my body plead NO.

I managed to rustle out of bed at 7:20 and make it work just after 8.

Even still, with my washed and ironed lab coat, my body refused to comply. I found myself neatly dozing away in the Consultation Room.  I would fall into lapses of unconsciousness then awaken just in time to meet eye contact with Doc, who was busily speaking away to a patient. I excused myself and went to cafeteria where I doused up on a large cup of coffee. The caffeine was gradually reaching my bloodstream, but not fast enough.

There were no examinations today or procedures, just revisits and discussing results. Another French speaking patient. I was again reminded of my need to be bilingual and even hopefully trilingual.

I prayed to be done with work by 12 PM, I would even settle for 3 in the afternoon.

To my wonderful surprise, at 10:34 AM I was out the building and on my way home! There were no more patients on the schedule.

Exuberantly, I walked down the  street and headed home. The fatigue had worn out and the caffeine was pumping in full throttle. The sun warmed my face and I smiled as I planned what to do with the many hours ahead of me. My day had only just begun.