Friday, July 23, 2010

Day 5

A complete makeup for the very unproductive Day 4.

I worked 8 to 5, with just short of 30 minutes for lunch. We saw almost twenty-five patients in that time span. From PCOS & endometriosis cases, to finally witnessing a previously infertile patient now pregnant in her first trimester (after losing a whooping 11 pounds)! to running into a patient I knew and practicing my first personal experience with patient confidentiality. It was an eventful, yet tiring day.

Moral? I'm sure I had some type of substantial moral in the heat of the day. But now its all foggy. One thing that I am coming to learn each day is, although doctors undoubtedly make a lot of money, they work extremely hard for it. From what I've seen, there are no leisure filled one/two hour lunch breaks; 20 minutes with a salad can do. They deal with emotional stress from patients, and sometimes ignorance too. Not including the amount of knowledge they must accumulate and continue to expand throughout their career.

As I continue to learn, my respect for the field flourishes.
Today, I commend doctors.