Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Day 4

The most hectic two plus hours of my life.


This sums up day 4.


Where do I begin?


I arrived at 10:50 dressed and ready for a lecture presentation. Students participating in a summer intensive program would be sharing their research findings as a conclusive to their lab work, so Doc asked that I attend. I arrived to an empty office except for the Secretary who kindly told me everyone had left for the presentation already. She gave me directions simple enough that I could find where the lecture was to be held. I arrived at the building to a disgruntled security guard who refused to let me enter without my hospital ID.


Lesson #1- Never leave home without your I.D.


For the past few days, I had been effortlessly entering without my I.D., so when I realized I'd left the house without this morning, I shrugged and figured no biggie I'll get in anyway.


Well, not with this security guard.


Long story short, I took the 4 min cab ride to and from home and returned I.D. and all.


Access.


Now to find this mysterious Lecture Hall.


A kind man, directed me to where it would be; Down the corridor, double doors, elevator up, left, turn right, face... after corridor I had tuned out and my face just kindly nodded and smiled while my mind remained detached.


I managed to get to the elevator and go up but now what?


Another kind person (everyone was so nice) actually left her office and brought me to the Lecture Hall.


But now I was late, so I had to use a different entrance. Who could've told me that going up one flight to an alternative entrance would take another 15 min of my life.


Ugh.


Regardless, God shone on me at the moment and realized my increasing irritation and rising levels of stress so finally I arrived to the daunting Lecture Hall and crept in silently, sliding into the last row of the amphitheater.


I had made it just in time to catch a few minutes of the last presentation.


I spotted Doc and friends sitting up front and went and greeted them after the presentation ended.


A girl I'd gone to JHS was also there, as a presenter.


Although I was able to meet more faces in my field, I didn't fully take advantage of the opportunity beforehand. I hesitated and put down an invitation to the following reception out of sheer __?__ (shyness is the only word I can think of that's suitable).


So, Lesson #2. Cut the crap. Shy is not acceptable. Be bold, its the new shy.


I regret not going.


Not that I would've landed a position or gained access to Medical School, but it would have enriched my experience and broadened my knowledge.


Just more lessons for the road to M.D. and better learned now than years from now.